Dual Credit


Dual Credit classes can be taught by either CSI faculty members or by high school instructors, who hold appropriate credentials to teach college courses. Courses may be offered via direct instruction, microwave transmission, or internet delivery.

Faculty members teaching college transfer courses should hold a master's degree in the appropriate teaching field, but experienced and highly qualified high school teachers may apply to teach Dual Credit classes without a master’s degree. Determination of the suitability of a teaching candidate for Dual Credit assignment rests with individual College of Southern Idaho departments.

High school Dual Credit instructors are considered to be employees of the College of Southern Idaho in the course of their Dual Credit instruction, as well as faculty members of their own high school. High school instructors teaching Dual Credit courses must complete a job application, supply the college with official university transcripts, attend CSI faculty orientations, and work with their CSI faculty department chair on all instructional issues related to the college course. Dual Credit instructors will be evaluated according to CSI guidelines for faculty assessment. In turn, the college will offer faculty development opportunities to Dual Credit instructors, as well as mentoring and support as needed, and compensate the instructor at the standard rate for CSI Dual Credit faculty members.

If CSI assigns its regular faculty members to teach a Dual Credit course on the high school campus, the high school administration should work with the college to ensure a successful semester. The college instructor will need information concerning parking, restrooms, mail service, photocopy facilities, and audio-visual equipment. High school administration should be given the name of a college liaison and a telephone number to call in case of an emergency involving a CSI faculty member.