ADC - Adult Basic Education

Back to GED Home

High School Equivalency Certificate

State of Idaho High School Equivalency Certificate

If you completed your GED® tests before January 2, 2014:

In addition to the GED® tests, the State of Idaho requires an American Government credit in order to receive a High School Equivalency (HSE) certificate. This credit may be obtained in either of these ways:

  • American Government class (12th grade or college level) taken in Idaho with a passing grade. A copy of the transcript with this government grade must be sent to the state office with your application.
  • The American Government test consists of 100 multiple choice questions. A score of 70% or better is passing. An appointment must be scheduled for this test. The testing center will provide you with proof of having passed the test.

An application for receiving a High School Equivalency Certificate is given to a student upon successful completion of the American Government test. It is also available online at:

If you completed your GED® tests after January 2, 2014:

With the new 2014 GED® test series, the Social Studies component of the test satisfies Idaho’s requirement for American Government. Students who earn their GED® credential still need to submit the application for a High School Equivalency Certificate and $10 to the state. The application and instructions are available at: